Monday, April 7, 2014

BCA still keeps quiet about cell tracking technology----admit have Stingray

Since September of 2013, I have been trying to get access to public data from both Hennepin County Sheriff's office and the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA-state FBI) on Kingfish and Stingray (cellular exploitation devices).  These devices particularly by the BCA have been bought in secret without the Legislature knowing about it.  $600,000 plus of state general funds have been used to buy the cellular devices.

In previous posts I have done and in the media there has been discussion of 4th Amendment privacy intrusions by the use of this kind of equipment.  Currently, these machines are being used without a search warrant in Minnesota.  There is legislation now pending before the Legislature that will address this issue among others how government get access to your location data.  Location data is information that third parties (Verizon, etc) collect on you as you use and carry your smart/cell phone in your pocket.

The letter below is where the BCA finally gives the public knowledge/confirmation that they have the Kingfish and Stingray.  Also where they acknowledge that they have a contract with Harris Corporation.  I still have not gotten the contract between the BCA and the Harris Corporation.

The letter below I received from the BCA in response to my re-request for the Kingfish/Stingray contract, and to review the inactive criminal investigations in which the Kingfish/Stingray was used.  The letter below was dated February 14, 2014.  Tomorrow I will be inspecting and reviewing the inactive criminal investigations.  I will let you know what I get.


"Mr. Neumeister,

We are writing in response to your follow-up data request regarding the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension’s (BCA) cellular exploitation equipment.

In this follow-up request you asked for the following:

  1. All inactive criminal investigations in which the equipment has been utilized
  2. The contract for the equipment
  3. The number of times the equipment was used by the BCA.

You noted in a follow-up email on February 11, 2014 that you would like these requests treated as separate requests for each of your questions given your understanding that gathering the data related to the inactive cases will take the BCA some time to compile. 

So, I will address the second point in your request regarding the contract.  As we have previously noted, the contract with the company was not released per your previous request pursuant to our letter dated October 3, 2013.  In that letter, we explained that the data is considered both deliberative process data under Minn. Stat. §13.82, Subd. 25 as disclosure would reveal information regarding investigative techniques that would compromise ongoing and future criminal investigations.  In addition, we previously noted that the data was also trade secret information pursuant to Minn. Stat. §13.37, Subd. 1(b). We continue to classify this contract under these two statutes and the contract cannot be released as such.

However, after further consultation and discussion since your original request, we have released information related to this equipment and acknowledge that the equipment owned by the BCA is (1) Stingray II and (1) Kingfish which are used as cellular exploitation devices.  These devices are manufactured by Harris Corporation.

We continue to work on the other portions of your request and will be in contact when progress has been made.  Please understand the data you are requesting are part of voluminous case files that will require full review and redaction prior to your inspection.

I have also attached a copy of the letter that was sent to our legislature for your review of some other information related to this equipment. 

Sincerely,


Drew Evans | Assistant Superintendent
MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension
1430 Maryland Ave. E
St. Paul, MN 55106"

11 comments:

  1. This is terrible. I can't believe we have this in our state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant believe we have it and don't use it for things like the home invasion that took place in Becker, MN on 11/11/2013. They treated the victims like criminals when they called 911 for help and an ambulence. The so called investigation was an absolute joke with 0 efforts made to catch the violent criminals responsible, despite the fact that the criminals used the credit cards and made multiple purchases with them from gas stations. I have no confidence in law enforcement because of this. They could have easily wrapped up this one, yet there remains at least five people who came in wearing masks, armed with automatic weapons, knives and batons. They removed the power box from the home, slashed all the vehicle tires before kicking in the front and side doors while the homeowner tried to lock herself in her bedroom terrified for her life, only for her bedroom door to be kicked in upon her as the armed robbers cut her, zip tied her at her ankles knees wrists and elbows, wrapped her head in duct tape and dragged her body out to the garden on the 40 acre property, where two of her friends were already dragged to in the same way. The armed robbers then stole virtually every thing of value, about $40000 worth of property, including over a thousand dollars cash the family had been saving for vacation. Not only did they slash the tires of all vehicles, they took all the keys to them, as well as every phone and communication device. They left the people bleeding in the garden and about to leave when the homeowners husband came in from hunting in the woods was caught off guard when they approached from behind him disarmed him and tied him up, also before making off with two vehicles full of valuables. 911 was called as soon as possible, and the police came in full force pointing guns at the victims, even the homeowner soaked in her own blood from a gaping head wound only then did the police bother with an ambulance. There has been multiple instances that they could have easily caught these criminals. Nothing has been done to catch those responsible. Now I learn they have this.....unbelievable amount of negligence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man hmu I emailed you I'm in brainerd Minnesota we need to talk this place in Wisconsin and Michigan is Dakotas everywhere everywhere this whole fucking area the Midwest is tapped everything's tapped around recently last few years been following me back and forth to cannabis dispensaries personal marijuana product for myself that I use on a basis daily and always have and they don't know if they expect or suspect or think that I'm doing other things or have been or I don't know what the fuck they think and I don't know what the fuck is been going on but all they know is that this place is so heavily surveilled that I don't even truly believe that there's a single normal person thinking mostly cops and images said and EA I don't even know what the fuck is going on around here but it's absolutely insane I'm not the ones are not safe my life is just gang stalked heavily I need each and every single day especially when I drive like I've heard of people dying because of these people and automobile crashes and whatnot and I am drive really fast sometimes so I hope that that never happens to me but I've heard about these people even running people over on bikes chasing them around and eventually hitting them and killing them might have been an accident when it happened but it happened nonetheless and happened here in Brainerd hit me up man we need to talk

      Delete
  3. If you would be interested in hearing about a case, with times, dates, and addresses where (it is likely) these things were used, with supporting documentation, please email me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then, after you contact me,please delete these emails?
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  5. how can i find out if iv been victim to this illegal action by the police? ther must be som record or log if i know the dates and close to the time,, i need proof if im going to b able to do anything about it. please ail me at mmartinez1109.mm@gmail.com thank u

    ReplyDelete
  6. Email me please sir or ma'am. I'm in northern minnesota and email is thedroidbot@gmail.com thx.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for such a well written article. It’s full of insightful information and entertaining descriptions. Your point of view is the best among many. techno tech blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am being tortured by means of no touch torture. V2k 24/7 for over 3 years. I am bring silently murdered. I have been to my local sheriffs office and the fbi in MN. To report this. I am not crazy nor on drugs. I am being stalked via broadcast wireless technology. I need help. I am scared to death. No one in my family talks to me due to the process this programm or something or someone on the darkweb hired to drive me crazy . I have been slandered to where I have no where to turn. Please help me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brainerd MN here some things have been bad for me for years I've been gang stalked followed everyday I'm about to leave my house now and I'll probably be followed when I leave I've been recording everything and trying to take care of myself and keep my family safe and I just don't know I don't understand what's going on anymore please contact me at live.com jamespokrivnak@live.com

      Delete